Canadian Pipeliner Qualification Examinations
Anyone may challenge a code qualification examination to demonstrate their knowledge and comprehension of the regulatory and code requirements for an identified designation*. Certification of an applicant’s code qualification is a critical component for companies to demonstrate competency for the roles and responsibilities defined in their Safety and Loss Management System. Qualifications issued under this program do not infer any specific training or experience. Companies bear responsibility within their competency management programs to determine and assess the training, experience and any additional qualifications that may be required for the position or task assigned.
*Designations identified on a CPAC Certificate of Qualification are standardized based on the published syllabus content. Companies may require an individual to carry multiple designations to meet their specific internal competency criteria.
|Qualification Level||Qualification||About||Register||Country Code|
|1||Level 1: Basic Pipeline Concepts and Content||C / US|
|1||Level 1: LNG Concepts and Content||C / US|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Design and Material Concepts||C|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Construction Concepts||C / US|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Welding Concepts||C|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Operating and Integrity Concepts||C / US|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Quality Control Auditing and Inspection Concepts||C / US|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Distribution System Concepts||C|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Electrical System Concepts||C / US|
|2||Level 2: Pipeline Facility Concepts||C|
|3*||Level 3: Pipeline Designer||C|
|3*||Level 3: Pipeline Construction Technician||C / US|
|3*||Level 3: Pipeline Welder||C|
|3*||Level 3: Pipeline Operating and Integrity Technician||C|
|3*||Level 3: API 1169 Pipeline Inspector **||C / US|
|3*||Level 3: Pipeline Management System External Auditor||C / US|
|3*||Level 3: Pipeline Facility Construction Technician||C|
|3*||Level 3: Pipeline System Electrical Technician||C / US|
|4*||Level 4: Pipeline Project Manager||C / US|
|4*||Level 4: Lead Auditor – Pipeline Management System||C / US|
|4*||Level 4: Chief Pipeline Construction Inspector||C / US|
|4*||Level 4: Pipeline Facility Inspector||C|
|4*||Level 4: Pipeline Welding Inspector||C|
|4*||Level 4: Pipeline Coating Inspector||C|
|4*||Level 4: Pipeline Cathodic Protection Inspector||C|
|4*||Level 4: Trenchless Pipeline Installation Inspector||C|
*This designation may carry a prerequisite or require verification of elements in addition to the member registration and successful completion of the code theory examination. Applicants who are successful with the examination, but who have not yet met the prerequisite or evidentiary requirements will be provided an email confirming their mark and identifying any additional conditions that must be met for issuance of the Certificate of Qualification and listing on the Accredited Pipeliner index.
** US issued API 1169 certificates are considered a Level 3 credential meeting the prerequisite requirements for US for Level 4 examinations. US issued API 1169 certificates are considered a Level 2 credential in Canada as they are not based on Canadian codes and regulations and accordingly are not acceptable as prerequisite for Canadian Level 4 designations. Canadian issued API 1169 certificates will clearly identify the jurisdictional code of construction (CSA Z662 or ASME B31 series) and the code edition for which the certificate is issued.
- Examination cost is $400 + GST per exam. Assessment and national registration with the Accredited Pipeliner Index is included.
- Initial CPAC membership is included with a perspective member’s first successful examination.
- Update, Level 1 and Level 2 Examinations are 1 or 1 1/2 hours in length and may be written remotely online.
- Level 3 and Level 4 and Examinations are 2 – 3 hours in length and must be written in person.
- Examination start time and locations will be confirmed 7 days prior to the date of writing.
- Applicants are requested to arrive 15 minutes prior for check-in and verification of identification.
- External reference materials are not permitted.
- Copies of allowable reference materials will be provided for use during the examination.
- Government issued photo identification is required to be verified prior to writing.
- Successful writers will receive a CPAC “Certificate of Qualification”, a wallet ID card and their endorsement will be added to the national registry.
- Unsuccessful examination candidates will be provided training and/or study recommendations.
- For certifications requiring prerequisites or submissions in addition to the theory examination, where verification of general pipeline experience is required, examination marks will be issued by email. The Certificate of Qualification will be issued after verification or attainment of the required prerequisites or submissions.
April 2023 – September 2023 Examination Locations and Dates
In Person examinations are scheduled by appointment. Once all appointments for an available date are booked, a new date will be added.
Test locations include Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver.
|Edmonton, Alberta||**2023: By Appointment|
|April 6, 2023|
|September 19, 2023|
|Calgary, Alberta||May 15, 2023|
|Ottawa, Ontario||May 8, 2023|
|Vancouver, British Columbia||June 2, 2023|
** Edmonton by Appointment: You will be issued a list of dates when examinations are being offered at the CPA Council offices in Edmonton. These dates are typically offered at 20 to 30 day intervals between publicly scheduled exam sessions. Writers are provided a private or semi-private room to write the exam.